The Colon & Rectal Surgery Program at Retreat Doctors’ Hospital is a comprehensive center for preventing, detecting and treating disorders of the colon, rectum and anus. The program also includes a Pelvic Floor Center devoted to diagnosing and treating pelvic floor dysfunctions. We are proud to be a part of the Virginia Institute of Robotic Surgery, providing our patients with the latest technology and advanced surgical treatment options in Central Virginia. With the use of the da Vinci® Robotic Surgery System, our patients benefit from better results, less pain and scarring, and quicker recovery times.
The Colon & Rectal Surgery Program is led by a team of highly trained physicians, nurses and other medical staff who deliver the best patient care, including:
- Excellence in colon and rectal surgical care
- Treatment for colon and rectal cancer, inflammatory bowel disease, polyps, diverticulitis, constipation, fecal incontinence, hemorrhoids and more
- Advanced technology, new therapies and minimally invasive surgeries to provide the best screening and treatment for colon cancer
- Breakthrough sedation techniques for colonoscopies
- Laparoscopic colon resections that use smaller incisions, resulting in faster recovery time
- An Outpatient Ostomy Clinic to improve quality of life
Procedures We Perform
Retreat Doctors’ Hospital serves as the HCA Virginia center for Motility and Pelvic Floor services.
- Esophageal Motility Study
- 24 Hour pH monitoring
- Bernstein Acid Perfusion Study
- Anal Manometry with Rectal Sensation Testing
- Pelvic Floor Retraining
- 3D Imaging of rectum
- Pudendal Nerve Study
- Defacography - in association with Medical Imaging
Leaders in Care
Retreat Doctors’ Hospital was the first hospital in Virginia to offer the Artificial Bowel Sphincter (ABS), the Stapled Transanal Rectal Resection (STARR), and Interstim Therapy or Sacral Nerve Stimulator for fecal Incontinence.
Stapled Transanal Rectal Resection (STARR)
The STARR procedure is a minimally invasive procedure which means less pain, a quicker recovery, and less scarring for many patients.
InterStim® Therapy involves inserting a small device under the skin usually in the upper buttock. A lead wire connected to the device sends impulses to stimulate nerves that influence the behavior of the anal sphincters, pelvic floor muscles and bowel.
Convenient, Personalized Care
Located in the historic Fan District, Retreat Doctors’ Hospital is easily accessible with free, covered, parking available in the attached parking garage. To ensure that patients are as comfortable as possible, the Colon & Rectal Surgery Program also features:
- An inpatient care unit
- A colon and rectal program nurse navigator who provides support and education to patients before, during and after surgery
- A post-surgical unit with a tranquil atmosphere to foster relaxation and healing
To learn more about the Colon & Rectal Surgery Program at Retreat Doctors’ Hospital, please call us at (804) 254-9708.