Complex Care Services in Richmond, Virginia
Complex Care is a specialty program on the 5th floor of Retreat Doctors’ Hospital. Our comprehensive care program focuses on caring for patients with severe or multiple illnesses or injuries. We provide coordinated inpatient medical and rehabilitation services to help heal our patients and prepare them and their families for a successful transition home or to the next level of care.
At Retreat Doctors’ Hospital, our Complex Care team treats multiple diagnoses and offers a wide range of support for patients and families. We use a multidisciplinary approach, where board-certified medical and rehabilitation experts work together to tailor a plan that is best suited for your overall condition. The result is often less time spent in the hospital, improved health and function, and a better quality of life.
We are here every step of the way, answering questions and championing your recovery to your fullest ability.
Who Benefits from Complex Care?
When different medical conditions and symptoms happen at once, it is overwhelming. Your complex care team monitors overlapping symptoms and provides treatment based on your whole health. We focus on your complete care so that recovery will not be as complex for you.
Patients with severe conditions and multiple medical needs can benefit from our complex care services, including:
- Brain injury and coma recovery
- Catastrophic or severe illness
- Long term IV antibiotics
- Multi-trauma injuries
- Non-weight bearing injuries
- Complex or non-healing wounds
- Parenteral nutrition
- Post-surgical complications
- Hyperbaric Oxygen
- Stroke and other neurologic conditions
- Pulmonary complications
Complex Care Services in Richmond, Virginia
Complex Care at Retreat Doctors’ Hospital begins with an onsite evaluation by a licensed liaison. If accepted, the liaison will submit information to the insurance company for authorization.
The interdisciplinary team meets weekly to discuss each patients’ plan of care, based on the unique needs of each patient. Every other week, patients, families, or caregivers are invited to attend. This process allows everyone to prepare for a smooth transition to acute rehab or home with home health.
The Retreat Doctors’ Hospital Difference
Complex Care can be a long process. Our team will not only work together to provide the best medical treatment, we’ll give you endless encouragement and support. It’s this combined compassion and expertise that makes our program different and among the best in the region.
Patients and families choose Retreat Doctors’ Hospital for:
- A team of board-certified doctors working together for you. Led by board-certified co-medical directors in internal medicine and physical medicine and rehabilitation, our team also includes specialists in infection disease, neurology, cardiology and orthopedic care.
- Support from the finest care managers. Your care team is made up of skilled nurses, case managers, therapists (physical, occupational, and speech), and case liaisons. We’re here from the first day, to well after your transition.
- Family involvement in the care process. We participate in weekly conferences, which families and caregivers are invited to attend. Case liaisons also ensure loved ones understand treatment and progress.
- Private rooms and special care designed for our patients. Complex care is provided on the fifth floor of the hospital, and every room is private. This comfort offers peaceful healing and recovery for you and your family during an extended stay.
- You have time to recover. Occupational, speech, and physical therapies are not limited by time and you can receive multiple services during the stay. All therapies are coordinated and work as stepping stones to help you fully participate in intensive inpatient rehabilitation if needed.
- Recognized unit of distinction. Our complex care team is recognized among the network’s top 5% for outstanding patient care and performance based on patient and family surveys about our program.
In addition to care in a private room, our programs are customized and our care team’s consist of:
- Board certified physicians in internal medicine and physical medicine and rehabilitation
- Certified Medical - Surgical nurses
- Physical, Occupational, and Speech therapists
- Case managers