Prostate cancer care in Richmond, Virginia
Prostate cancer is one of the most common cancers among men. When prostate cancer is detected early—when still confined to the prostate gland—it has a better chance of successful treatment. At Retreat Doctors’ Hospital, we offer advanced screening services, multiple treatment options and a comprehensive network of cancer resources through our Center for Urological Health.
If you are experiencing symptoms of prostate cancer or have received a diagnosis, our urologic oncologists are here for you. To schedule an appointment, call (804) 320-DOCS (3627).
Symptoms of prostate cancer
Prostate cancer can show up in a variety of ways, but the most common symptoms are:
- Problems urinating
- Blood in urine
- Blood in semen
- Erectile dysfunction
- Pain in the hips, back or chest
- Weakness in the legs or feet
- Reduced bladder or bowel control
- Persistent bone pain
Our team can perform a biopsy to examine for the presence of possible cancer or other diseases. This procedure involves the removal of sample tissue. Depending on the location of the affected tissue, this can be performed in a variety of ways.
Prostate cancer treatment options
We are proud to be a recipient of Healthgrades Prostate Surgery Excellence award and a Prostate Removal Surgery Five-Star award recipient. By combining expertise and advanced technology, we ensure patients receive the best possible surgical outcomes.
There are different types of treatments available for prostate cancer. Our procedures include:
- Prostatectomy: This is a surgery that partially or completely removes the prostate using a minimally invasive procedure, but at times, may require open surgery.
- Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP): This surgery helps ease or eliminate urinary problems caused by an enlarged prostate. TURP is performed using minimally invasive robotic surgery or by using a laser to remove or destroy the excess tissue causing urine flow problems.
As a campus of Henrico Doctors’ Hospital, we have access to additional oncology services if necessary for our patients. For more information about our oncology services at the Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at Henrico Doctors' Hospital, call our 24/7 helpline askSARAH at (804) 591-4152.